Horizons Speakers Bureau
The Horizons Speakers Bureau provides lecturers in humanities areas as wide-ranging as history, literature, interpretation of the arts, and public policy. We make these programs available to New Jersey nonprofits for a modest application fee. More than 170 topics from a variety of speakers are available for selection. Bring a Horizons Speaker Bureau program to your community today!
NJCH is currently accepting applications for the Horizons Speakers Bureau. Click on the tabs below to learn more about hosting a program.
Is my organization eligible to host a program?
Any New Jersey nonprofit organization that is able to provide an appropriate site and space for at least thirty people is eligible to apply. Programs are frequently hosted by libraries, historical societies, museums, civic associations, public agencies, senior centers, and other community groups. All organizations that apply must agree to keep the program free and open to the general public.
When can I apply?
Applications should be submitted at least two months before the date you wish to schedule your program. We are currently accepting applications for programs taking place before October 31, 2015.
How many programs can my organization host?
Currently eligible organizations may host two programs in the period between November 1, 2013 and October 31, 2014. Preference will be given to organizations that have not yet hosted a Horizons Speakers Bureau program during this period.
Eligible organizations will be able to host one program in the period between November 1, 2014 and October 31, 2015.
How does my organization apply to host a Horizons Speakers Bureau program?
1. Read the requirements to see if your organization is eligible to host a program.
2. Review the program listings on our website to identify a speaker and topic. On the right hand side of this page, you can browse topics or search keywords.
3. Select a couple dates and times that your organization would like to host the program. Applications should be submitted at least two months before the date you wish to schedule your program.
4. Complete the application and mail it to NJCH along with the $50 application fee. There is a $50 application fee per program. Libraries and other government agencies may submit purchase orders.
5. After NJCH receives and reviews your application, the Speakers Bureau Coordinator will contact you by email within five business days.
Applications are available as either a PDF or editable Word document (docx), click below on the format type that you prefer.
Note: NJCH will be sending all forms electronically. All applicants will be required to provide a working email address.
How do I schedule a program?
1. After NJCH receives and reviews your application, the Speakers Bureau Coordinator will contact you by email and provide the contact information for the speaker you have selected.
2. Contact the speaker to schedule the program. Your organization (not NJCH) is responsible for making arrangements with the speaker.
3. Once the arrangements have been finalized contact the Speakers Bureau Coordinator by email to confirm the date and time of the program.
Our speakers do their best to accommodate your schedule, but you may not get your first choice. Organizations frequently end up scheduling their programs on a date and time that is different than what was identified on their original applications.
In the event you need to reschedule an event, you must inform both the speaker and the Speakers Bureau Coordinator. If bad weather or other circumstances cause you to cancel your program on the day of due to weather, you must provide the speaker sufficient notice.
My organization has scheduled a program. How do we prepare for and host a program?
1. Visit our partners page and select the Speakers tab to download supporting materials.
2. Publicize the program as free and open to the public and acknowledge funding by NJCH. Send your press release and publicity materials to NJCH for approval prior to distribution.
3. Upon approval, send the press release to local newspapers to publicize the program.
4. Invite your federal and state representatives as well as your local and county officials to attend the program.
5. Closer to the date of the program make sure to contact the speaker to reconfirm the date, time and location of your program. Send map, travel directions, and bus or train schedule, if required.
6. Make copies of the audience evaluation form. Distribute and collect audience evaluation forms at the program.
Our program is over. What else does my organization need to do?
After the program is completed you must submit a completed Program Director’s Final Report including a budget summary, audience surveys, and final copies of all publicity and press releases. The report is due no later than three weeks after the date of your program.
Visit our partners page and select the Speakers tab to download the Program Director’s Report.
Can my organization apply?
Any New Jersey nonprofit organization that is able to provide an appropriate site and an audience of thirty or more people is eligible to apply. Programs are frequently hosted by libraries, historical societies, museums, civic associations, public agencies, senior centers and other community groups. NJCH reserves the right to give preference to organizations that have not previously hosted speakers.
Can we charge admission or restrict who may attend?
No, we required that programs be free and open to the public.
How many programs can my organization host?
Currently organizations may apply for two programs per fiscal year (November 1 through October 31). However, this is subject to change from year to year.
How much does it cost?
There is a $50 registration fee per program that must be submitted with each application. NJCH pays the speaker’s honorarium and travel expenses. Host organizations are responsible for all other expenses including, but not limited to, room rental, equipment rental, refreshments, and publicity.
When should I submit my application?
Applications should be submitted at least two months before the date you wish to schedule your program.
We are a government entity and required by law to submit purchase orders before issuing payment. Can we submit a purchase order with our application?
Yes. If your organization is a government entity, such as a library, park, or county/municipal senior center, you may submit a purchase order with your application.
How far in advance can I schedule my program?
NJCH is only accepting applications for programs taking place up until October 31, 2015.
What if I can’t schedule a program on the date listed on my application?
Our speakers do their best to accommodate your schedule, but you may not get your first choice. Organizations frequently end up scheduling their programs on a date and time different than what was identified on their application.
What if we need to reschedule our event?
Circumstances change and no one can predict the weather months in advance. While we realize you may need to reschedule your event, you are required to inform both the speaker and NJCH of any changes. If you need to cancel your program the day of the event due to weather, please give the speaker sufficient notice.
Can’t find a speaker from our list? Please visit the Rutgers Speakers Bureau.
Questions? Please contact James Kirkland, Program Coordinator at [email protected] or 609.695.4838.