Teacher of the Year Award
For the past twenty years, the New Jersey Council for the Humanities has recognized the best of our state’s K-12 school teachers and their outstanding achievements in teaching the humanities to our young people.
NJCH is proud to celebrate excellence in New Jersey Humanities education. The 2015 selection committee took particular note of the innovative and imaginative nature of Dawn Lambert’s teaching and her enthusiastic dedication to students through humanities education. Lambert’s commitment to interdisciplinary teaching is more than evident through recommendations from students and colleagues alike. Please help us congratulate Ms. Lambert and Burlington City High School!
What kind of teacher do we look for?
The review committee will judge nominated full-time elementary, middle school and high school teachers based upon the following criteria:
• Possession of an exceptional understanding of the humanities
• Demonstration of applied innovative pedagogy to humanities education
• Innovative and effective techniques to develop each student’s ability to perceive, think critically, and form a personal world-view
Humanities subjects as defined by the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) include:
- History/social studies
- Literature and language arts
- Theory and history of the arts
- Language and world cultures and
- Those aspects of the social sciences which have humanistic content and employ humanistic methods
Who may nominate a teacher for the Award?
We encourage colleagues, supervisors, and/or administrators to nominate educators in their schools. Nominations provide an opportunity to recognize excellent educators and celebrate the remarkable things taking place in your school.
The Teacher of the Year receives a $500 prize; his or her school receives $500 for the purchase of humanities resources that are chosen by the Teacher of the Year.
The winning teacher will also be honored during October as a part of National Arts and Humanities Month.
Questions? Contact Mary Grace Whealan at email@example.com.